Saturday, May 10, 2008

Music

Me and my flatmates just got into a big argument over what constitutes good music.
I was vocally analysing the hip-hop and rap they were listening to.

Classic example - Dr Dre 

-lyrics show little creativity or poetry or rhythme. The 'song' is entirely about how everyone is wrong when they say he is no good at music.
-rhythme is super basic and entirely identical throughout.
-the backing music etc is also super basic and unvarying.
-the clip was trashy and boring. More or less entirely scantily clad women shaking butt cheeks.

I was of the oppinion that if he wanted to silence his critics he should go out and make an actual good song (about whatever) and say "There is my reply" rather than pulling out a load of basic, artless whining rubbish.



But then again I tend to have strong reservation about rap and hip-hop in general. Although some of the artists are very good with words, they generally fritter their talent away with the banal and base. Furthermore I like music to be musical. Reading poetry with a basic riff and beat in the background will never to me be quality music. Because where is the music?


6 comments:

Scratch said...

haha i love it! Very well written. and I much agree.

Scratch said...

But just a point, what about beautiful music with poor lyrics?

Scratch said...

is that still Music?

Brass Baboon said...

I think so. QED - 'beautiful music' - music can be entirey instrumental, but not entrely lyrical.

The pinnacle I think is a mixture of perfection in both..... Because instrumental pieces don't make for great singalongs.

Scratch said...

mmm, but u dont necessarily have to have a great sing a long to have a great song... Like the lord of the rings soundtrack... beautiful.

Brass Baboon said...

True- however a brilliant song with brilliant lyrics presents a synthesis of two artistic endeavours. Throw in a fab music video and that's 3.

Much harder to do, and therefore I appreciate more.

It's like how a Haiku is really restrictive (17 syllables all up or sommink), so to express stuff in that poetry is really really hard (good Haiku's are rare indeed). Thus to do the same thing in 1 haiku or 1 free form verse poem, Haiku wins out for skill in my books any day.