Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Song for the Tired Man

A shell I wish I had
All bone and teeth and forgiveness
A home to wrap me up
And keep the world at wall’s distance

A place I wish I had
To lick my wounds and silences
And run from the accusations
Hidden on the surface of my eyes

A laugh I wish I had
To be believed by everyone
To prop slip-sliding walls in place
Pulled out at the whim of a moment

A bed I wish I had
A place to outrun tiredness
That stalks these tiger striped halls
A beast amongst the antelopes



I remind me on each new today
Of the path of feet that led me here
Forever devoured by the underbrush

A rock I have
Cut from the forever of forgiveness
A home to catch me up
When my ground loses its way

A trust I have
Given to me more than I can ever return
The promise of every exhausted sigh
Reforged into new laughter

No comments: