Saturday, June 06, 2009

A Sinner

God is not the boss
Though I stack His rules
In black leather books
They eat only dust.

He is not my Lord
His light blanks my retinas
It's a diffent path I walk
In the softer shadows

The Spirit is not my guide
I need to know where I place my feet
Before they swallow the future
I need my own maps

God is not my ruler
I jaywalk when He isn't looking
I kill for convenience
His laws are just tanglefeet

Jesus is not my Lord
He sits in the quiet
Out of doors
The fireplace is my reservation.

God isn't in my heart
It beats for what I really want
It soaks my dreams in real blood
His futures are too transparent

Jesus is not my king
And when it comes to
These sorts of things
There are no second placings.

Seek ye first the kindgom of God
And His righteousness
And all these things shall be added unto you.

2 comments:

Brass Baboon said...

I'm hoping the meaning of this is transparent.

Brass Baboon said...

Just to be clear.

This is about how, though we claim to be God's people, we spend so much of our time crowning ourselves king. We are perfectly happy to leave God in second place. But there is no second place.

And the dumb thing is, if we sought first Him, then the things we spend so much time futily chasing after would be added to us by Him anyway...