Sunday, March 07, 2004

When dinosaurs are driven over the edge

Someone's laughing
'Cause I'm new at being me.
Someone's behind me
And I know it to be true
Seems like a shadow
Always comes my way
Just when I'm getting used to
The sun.

Sometimes the wind
Seems to blow in my face
Even when I turn
And walk the other way.
Sometimes I hear voices
Calling my name
But I can never hear what they say
To me.

They're felling a grove
Just beyond the back fence.
It's been around
A thousand years or so.
But somebody
Just moved in
And it's spoiling the view
In the twilight.

Pick-up lines
Are a slap in the face.
A shape on the doorstep,
Bearing roses and dreams.
Sometimes a perfect evening
Is a nightmare come true
Because nothing is what it seems
To be.

The music's too loud
And it's killing my ears
Just another mix
Of rythm and death.
But on the bus home
It's my own little world
As transient and fragile as breath
In the wind.

Don't listen to the doorman
He's away on drugs
He's getting them cheap
If he fixes you up
And smoking will kill you
If society won't
Or you don't find your solace in a cup
Or a rope.

Undenied
Underpaid
It seems that you'll finally
Get your own way.
Till the reforms come through
And you're out of a job.
You never should have
Spoken up.
The weather is fine
But it may piss down
Any minute now
Did you bring an umbrella?

No comments: